Magento is a platform that helps build dynamic websites. That is why a typical web development company Melbourne uses it for creating highly effective, dynamic and attractive websites. Magento has released security updates for commerce and open source 1.x to address several security issues with Magento 1.x installations. Although 2.x received some current security updates this is the first in quite a while. Always, with updates and patches, if running Magento in a busy season, it pays to be careful with software upgrade. Security updates are crucial, but they could also create other unexpected issues with custom extensions or installations.
MAGENTO’S NEW VERSIONS OF COMMERCE AND OPEN SOURCE
Magento released new Magento Commerce and Open source versions to boost production functionality and of course security, such as the:
● Magento Open Source and Commerce 2.1.10
● Magento Open Source and Commerce 2.2.1
● Magento Open Source and Commerce 2.0.17
The releases contain nearly fifteen security changes, which help close cross-site request forgery or CSRF, unauthorized leak of data as well as vulnerabilities in authenticated Admin user remote code execution. Also, they contain more than 40 functional improvements, which include significant contributions from members of the community.
WHY USE MAGENTO FOR E-COMMERCE?
There are of course many reasons to use the Magento platform for e-commerce. Web developers Melbourne are updated on the latest security release of the e-commerce platform. Aside from helping create beautiful and dynamic websites, Magento also offer a lot of functionality and features.
1. Wide array of functionality and features. Magento, out-of-the-box is filled with a range of functionality options and also has everything one needs to run a standard e-commerce store. Including a Magento module helps create a mobile app and website, card/gift functionality, flexible product catalogue, CMS pages, newsletter management, multi-store, cross-selling functionality, multiple images for every product, advanced stock management, configurable pricing, product bundles and many more.
2. Bigger developer following. This is one of the main benefits of using Magneto as an e-commerce platform. A lot of common errors and issues are documented on different forums and blogs that help users overcome problems with no need to contact an agency, adding a lot of value to the platform. Magento, together with a lot more develop guides are available also to users, covering many Magento core.
3. Open source. As an open source, it means it’s more accessible when it comes to cost, more flexible for developers as well as more secure, a major benefit of the platform over other platforms.
4. Integrations. There are a lot of agencies who design bespoke integrations, together with numerous software providers that integrate with Magento. Integrations that are readily available, include Campaign Monitor, MailChimp, PayPal, SalesForce and a whole lot more.
5. Various versions. There is a range of various versions of the e-commerce platform and it is important to choose the best option. The different versions for various sized retailers add a big deal of value to the platform, since many other platforms offer a product that is ‘one-size-fits-all’.
6. Thousands of developers and agencies. With a lot of good developers and agencies with plenty of experience, one has an option to look for the perfect developer for a business and is e-commerce requirements.
7. Could be SEO-friendly. Many basic SEO elements are covered already with Magento. This includes top-level URL’s, Meta content, URL’s that are search-friendly, use of canonical tag, redirecting functionality and more. With third-party modules, the SEO of out-of-the-box Magento could be tamed easily.
WAYS TO SECURE A MAGENTO E-COMMERCE SHOP
A Magento shop should be not only ready for hacker attacks, but should also know how to prevent them. The following tips could make a Magento site safer and its security more robust.
A. Know the present state of the website. Magento patches are installed on the store, it only needs inputting the link, click Scan and within seconds, there would be a short description of tested components with risk rating. The test only covers a small number of aspects and could not replace a complete investigation of the Magento security within. Day-to-day checking is recommended.
B. Keep the system updated. It is highly recommended to update for new releases. Every upgrade comes with new available features, fixed functionality concerns and with Magento security patches that are related to the latest attacks. After the updates, the website gets more secure.
C. Using strong passwords. Always use strong passwords that are hard to guess, both for the Magento backend and server services. Never use common usernames. Hard passwords could include uppercase, lowercase and numbers that are at least eight characters long.
D. Use secure protocols. Uses SSH, SCP, SFTP or HTTPS/SSL for all accesses, regardless if it is data transmission or calling a backend. Webpages transported with HTTP:// aren’t encrypted. SSL standard helps protect the website as well as the customers. It could be changed easily in the settings.
The new security releases for commerce and open source in Magento reinforces the robustness of the security features of the e-commerce platform.
This article was contributed by RITESH MEHTA and was previously published here.